Photo Source: decorhint.com
Bean bag chairs are a popular piece of furniture, and many people choose to purchase them rather than make them. These chairs are comfortable and versatile and can be used in a variety of settings. However, making a bean bag chair yourself can be a rewarding experience, and it will save you money in the long run. If you have the time and supplies, it is not difficult to make your own bean bag chair. In this article, we will show you how to do just that.
What You Will Need
Photo Source: usatoday.com
Before you start to make a bean bag chair, prepare the following materials:
- A large section of fabric (enough to cover the bean bag chair with a seam allowance)
- Sewing machine
- Polyester stuffing (or another type of stuffing)
- Straight edge or ruler
Steps To Make a Bean Bag Chair
Photo Source: beanbagsrus.com.au
- Cut the fabric.
Start by cutting a large piece of fabric. The size will depend on how huge you want your bean bag chair to be. For reference, a standard bean bag chair is about 36 inches (91 cm) in diameter. Measure and cut a large piece of fabric, making sure that it is twice the size of your bean bag. If you want to be able to wash the cover of your bean bag, choose a fabric that can be machine-washed and dried.
- Sew the fabric together.
Fold the fabric in half so that the wrong sides are facing each other. Sew the fabric together using a sewing machine or needle and thread, leaving a large opening at one end. If you are using a sewing machine, choose a straight stitch and sew around the perimeter of the fabric, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end.
- Turn the fabric right-side out.
Once you have sewn the fabric together, turn it right-side out so that the correct sides of the fabric are facing each other. Use a chopstick or your fingers to push out the corners so that they are sharp.
- Fill the bean bag.
Now it is time to fill your bean bag. You can use either beans or stuffing to fill your bean bag. If you are using beans, pour them into a large container and then funnel them into the opening of the fabric. If you are using stuffing, simply put it into the fabric through the opening.
- Sew the opening shut.
Once the bean bag is filled, sew the opening shut. Again, you can use either a sewing machine or needle and thread. If you are using a sewing machine, choose a straight stitch and sew around the perimeter of the opening, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end.
- Enjoy your new bean bag chair!
Your bean bag chair is now complete! You can enjoy it in any room of your house. Thanks for taking the time to learn how to make a bean bag chair. We hope you enjoy your new piece of furniture.
Additional Tips In Making A Bean Bag Chair
Photo Source: freepik.com
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making a bean bag chair:
- If you want to add a bit of color or pattern to your bean bag chair, choose a fabric that has a design you like. You can also purchase fabric with different colors and sew them together to create a patchwork effect.
- If you plan on using your bean bag chair outdoors, choose a durable fabric that can withstand the elements.
- When measuring and cutting the fabric, make sure to add a few inches to your measurements to allow for seams.
- If you are not using a sewing machine, you can hand-sew the fabric together using a needle and thread. Just be aware that this will take significantly longer than using a sewing machine.
- When filling the bean bag, you can use any type of beans or stuffing you like. Just make sure to choose something that is washable in case the bean bag gets dirty.
- If you want to be able to move your bean bag chair easily, choose a fabric that is lightweight and easy to carry.
- You can add embellishments to your bean bag chair, such as buttons, patches, or appliques. Just make sure to sew them on before you fill the bean bag.
- If you want to make a larger bean bag chair, simply use more fabric and beans. Just make sure that the fabric is big enough to fit around the beans comfortably.
Making a bean bag chair is a fun and easy project that anyone can do. It is a simple process that anyone can do with the right materials. Also, it is a great way to add a bit of color or personality to your home. With just a few steps, you can have your own bean bag chair that is both comfortable and stylish. We hope you enjoy your new piece of furniture.
My name is James McGee and I am an experienced blogger and content creator. I run chairsteam.com, a website dedicated to providing readers with informative and entertaining insights into the world of chairs. Through this blog, I hope to share my passion for furniture design with people from all walks of life. My mission is to make sure that everyone can find the perfect chair they need. Let’s explore chairs together!